Contests & Submissions
The PSNH offers opportunities for publication both through direct submissions to the editor and through our contests. In addition to publication of winning poems there are cash prizes for our National and Members contests.
National Contest Coordinator
280 Candia Road
Chester, NH 03036
Please note limit is forty lines. Name and address must appear in the upper left hand corner of the copy on which they appear. NO identification is to appear anywhere on the second copy.
The Poetry Society of New Hampshire sponsors one National Contests open to all poets, members or not. Judges for the contests are not members of the Poetry Society of New Hampshire. Prizes are awarded to four places, 1st place, $100, 2nd place, $50, 3rd and 4th places $25 each. Winning poems will be published in our quarterly magazine, The Poets Touchstone, and winning poets will receive one copy of the issue in which their poems appear. Rights revert to the author after publication.
Entries that do not meet the guidelines will not be considered or returned. Poems must be postmarked by the deadline date.
- Subject and form are open.
- Length limited to 40 lines.
- One poem per page.
- Poems must be typed.
- Two copies of each poem, one with NO identification (no name, no address), the other with the name and address in the upper left corner.
- #10 SASE for winners list only. Poems will not be returned.
- Entry fee is $3 for the first poem, and $2 each for others. Entries limited to 5 poems per poet per contest.
- Poems must not be previously published, have won a prize, nor be currently entered in another contest.
- Poems must be postmarked by the deadline date.
Deadline is May 15th
- Mail poems and check payable to the Poetry Society of New Hampshire (PSNH) to the coordinator at the address above.
Members Contest Coordinator
P.O. Box 1118
Amherst, NH 03031-1118
The society sponsors one members only contests. Judges are also members. Prizes are awarded as follows: 1st Place $25, 2nd Place $15, 3rd Place $10. Winning poems will be published in the The Poets' Touchstone. Rights revert to the author after publication.
Entries that do not meet the guidelines will not be considered or returned.
- Entries must be post-marked by the applicable deadline: the 15th of November.
- Subject and form are open, unless otherwise stated.
- Limited to 40 lines including blank lines between stanzas.
- One poem per page.
- Entries limited to one poem per poet per contest.
- Poems must be typed.
- Submit two copies of each poem: one with NO identification (no name, no address), the other with your name and contact info in the upper left corner.
- Note contest deadline on outside of envelope.
- #10 SASE for winners’ list only.
- Poems will not be returned.
- Decisions of the Judge are final.
- Poems must not be previously published, have won a prize, nor be currently entered or submitted elsewhere.
- Mail poems to the coordinator at the address above.
Apply to be the next NH Youth Poet Laureate!
The NH Youth Poet Laureate (NHYPL) is an honorary one-year position held by a NH high school student who has shown a dedication to and excellence in writing, and who demonstrates the enthusiasm to share it with the public. The NHYPL serves as an ambassador who will heighten the visibility and value of poetry by and for young people in New Hampshire.
We encourage all members to submit work for consideration. Please send your book reviews, essays on poetry, black & white artwork and poetry submissions to email@example.com. E-mail attachments of MS Word or RTF documents are preferred for text. Please attach graphics in PDF or another high-resolution format.
If you cannot e-mail your submissions, please mail them to:
The Poets' Touchstone, Editor
170 Browns Ridge Road
Ossipee, NH 03864
Please include your phone number and contact information so we may communicate with you. All rights revert to authors and artists upon publication, but if you do resubmit elsewhere, please credit The Poets' Touchstone.
Poetry Contest for College Students
The Poetry Society of New Hampshire is holding a poetry contest open to all college undergraduates. The winning poet will receive a $200 prize and publication of the winning poem in The Poets' Touchstone. The contest will be judged by a poet who is not a member of the society. The reading fee is $3 per submission. The contest opens February 1 and the deadline is March 15. Please submit a single poem here: Submit to PSNH. The winner will be announced by the end of May. Any questions may be sent to contest coordinator Marti Noel.